Wednesday, May 25, 2005

IMHO, Sincerity trumps Hype, everyday

Every once in awhile I have to dust off my soap box and take a stand. And here it is…I’m really sick unto death of all the hype on the internet. You’ve run into this, I’m sure. Much of it is fueled by the “make m*oney on the internet” crowd. The motivation is all about selling a ton of stuff regardless of whether it’s useful to the customer so you can buy a flashy car, build a huge mansion, and run with the bulls. The sales materials are all about “you too can make lots of dough and live the life style I’m living, all you have to do is give me your cash”.

Puh-leeeze!

Anyone who has ever run a business in the real world knows that building a lasting business involves more than some carnival barker whipping up the crowd at a side show. Sure, hype sells. There’s little doubt of that. There will always be those who are so desperate for a solution to their problem that they’ll fall for any pitch. But, I take a different approach with my own business.

I guess you could say I’m “square” or “old fashioned” or “a do-gooder”. I value things like honesty, integrity, sincerity, service, and compassion. I have no interest in selling people stuff that won’t help them--just to make a buck.

I guess all those internet gurus will look down on me and think I’m a fool. Oh well. I guess I can live with that. I’ve been quietly and sincerely making a living now for years. I don’t live in a mansion or jet off to exotic locations. I don’t feel the need. I live a simple life in a place I love and fill my life with work that is meaningful and causes I believe in. And I succeed by helping others succeed. It’s a great life. I wouldn’t trade it for any other.

Building a business that allows you to “do well” while “doing good” is one of the sweetest life paths any of us can walk. I feel blessed to have the wisdom to know that and the courage to act it out. And now, Goody Two Shoes needs to tie her laces and get back to work.

Until next time,
Caroline Jordan
Get Knowledge. Get Focus. Get Results.
The Jordan Result